

## April 2021 HUB Governing Board Meeting

Start at 11:01 AM on April 13th, 2021

1

00:00:01.079 --> 00:00:16.139

Adam Gutierrez: The highlander Union building governing board meeting to order on April 13 2021 at 11:01 am and if everybody could please have your cameras on during the meeting would really appreciate that.

2

00:00:19.500 --> 00:00:20.070

Adam Gutierrez: Okay.

3

00:00:21.720 --> 00:00:27.930

Adam Gutierrez: Now we're going to go straight into the approval of the Minutes for last month's meeting.

4

00:00:28.410 --> 00:00:31.320

Adam Gutierrez: Brendan did you receive minutes.

5

00:00:32.070 --> 00:00:32.550

Brendan O'Brien: No, I did not.

6

00:00:34.080 --> 00:00:41.730

Adam Gutierrez: Okay, so we're going to postpone that until the main meeting now i'd like to move to the approval of the agenda.

7

00:00:44.850 --> 00:00:46.260

Adam Gutierrez: And we're looking for a motion.

8

00:01:03.150 --> 00:01:04.140

Adam Gutierrez: Do we have a second.

9

00:01:13.140 --> 00:01:18.000

Alex Ruiz: Question i'm looking for the agenda, I didn't receive it, or maybe I missed it.

10

00:01:19.380 --> 00:01:21.180

Adam Gutierrez: Let me go ahead and send it out to you again.

11

00:01:36.180 --> 00:01:36.450

Alex Ruiz: Thanks.

12

00:01:37.980 --> 00:01:38.430

Adam Gutierrez: No problem.

13

00:01:49.980 --> 00:01:50.610

Alex Ruiz: To approve.

14

00:01:52.650 --> 00:01:53.460

Adam Gutierrez: Okay.

15

00:01:54.180 --> 00:01:54.660

Second.

16

00:01:56.490 --> 00:01:58.320

Adam Gutierrez: Okay, and if everybody could text.

17

00:01:58.380 --> 00:02:01.170

Adam Gutierrez: In the chat if you are in favor.

18

00:02:08.790 --> 00:02:11.310

Adam Gutierrez: Okay, any opposed.

19

00:02:13.200 --> 00:02:14.310

Adam Gutierrez: Any abstentions.

20

00:02:21.090 --> 00:02:26.850

Adam Gutierrez: The motion passes 10 00 and with that we're going to move on to the Chair report.

21

00:02:27.930 --> 00:02:28.680

Adam Gutierrez: So.

22

00:02:29.700 --> 00:02:36.660

Adam Gutierrez: For the April meeting what I wanted to emphasize today is again the importance of having.

23

00:02:38.040 --> 00:02:50.310

Adam Gutierrez: Individuals participating in the subcommittee meetings, I know that me Brendan Alex and Judith participated in the last finance subcommittee meeting.

24

00:02:51.060 --> 00:03:04.230

Adam Gutierrez: we're going over some very important topics and some different capital projects that will be investing in in the upcoming year so we're getting the budget ready for fiscal year 2021 2022.

25

00:03:07.920 --> 00:03:12.720

Adam Gutierrez: So yeah we do have another meeting coming up.

26

00:03:14.880 --> 00:03:18.030

Adam Gutierrez: Let me just double check the day.

27

00:03:19.110 --> 00:03:22.200

Adam Gutierrez: And these were all sent.

28

00:03:25.290 --> 00:03:27.360

Adam Gutierrez: And the meeting dates were sent out.

29

00:03:31.530 --> 00:03:34.830

Adam Gutierrez: So everybody should have a copy of the.

30

00:03:42.630 --> 00:03:53.070

Adam Gutierrez: So yeah we'll have our second April finance subcommittee meeting Friday April 23 so that's going to be coming up in the next two weeks.

31

00:03:55.470 --> 00:04:13.620

Adam Gutierrez: And there will be will be going over a lot of the topics that we discovered or not discovered but discussed in this past meeting and then we're also looking to have a bylaw subcommittee meeting, which was intended to be today at noon, however i'm gonna have to.

32

00:04:15.870 --> 00:04:31.140

Adam Gutierrez: i'm gonna have to reschedule that meeting, because I do have a job interview later today so i'll get back to everybody on when the bylaw subcommittee meeting will commence in that subcommittee meeting we're going to be reviewing.

33

00:04:32.970 --> 00:04:41.670

Adam Gutierrez: The bylaws regarding the Finance Committee and perhaps looking at if we want to look at.

34

00:04:45.780 --> 00:05:04.200

Adam Gutierrez: Adjusting perhaps the stipend to encourage participation in these meetings and then we'll also be revisiting the hub board stipend So these are very important topics they pertain to each and every one of you, and I would just encourage.

35

00:05:07.350 --> 00:05:10.140

Adam Gutierrez: Participation again at these meetings.

36

00:05:12.330 --> 00:05:14.160

Adam Gutierrez: Okay, and then for.

37

00:05:16.020 --> 00:05:20.880

Adam Gutierrez: For the next board meeting it looks like we're going to have to be extending past an hour.

38

00:05:22.500 --> 00:05:33.780

Adam Gutierrez: So please let me know ahead of time if your availability is not clear, after the next meeting, which will be Friday may 14 at noon.

39

00:05:34.410 --> 00:05:47.010

Adam Gutierrez: If you have obligations at 1pm after just let me know if too many of the Members are not able to meet at that time, then we can always go ahead and reschedule that meeting for a different time.

40

00:05:52.110 --> 00:06:05.730

Adam Gutierrez: And yeah Brendan I don't know if you wanted to elaborate on that meeting, I know that we were going to go over some of the the finance discussions that we've been talking about and there were going to be different individuals presenting.

41

00:06:06.750 --> 00:06:14.190

Brendan O'Brien: Sure, so for the name meeting i'll be doing a presentation on the proposed budget.

42

00:06:14.790 --> 00:06:26.130

Brendan O'Brien: For the hub, and it will be in depth with the capital projects that Adam alluded to, and those projects will have already been discussed at the subcommittee level.

43

00:06:26.550 --> 00:06:30.360

Brendan O'Brien: And again just to reiterate what I said I encourage folks if you can attend.

44

00:06:30.690 --> 00:06:38.640

Brendan O'Brien: To review those this board will have an opportunity to review them, but the subcommittee is an opportunity for me to get some opinion in advance.

45

00:06:38.970 --> 00:06:46.680

Brendan O'Brien: about the direction of these projects, and also to do research on any proposed projects that the subcommittee recommends.

46

00:06:46.920 --> 00:07:03.510

Brendan O'Brien: Or that the Governing Board recommends, so that by the time we get to maze meeting you have 100% snapshot of the budget proposal is and going through the numbers, so that by june's meeting, we can take a formal vote on the approval.

47

00:07:04.260 --> 00:07:15.000

Brendan O'Brien: I don't want to get into a situation that we have had in the past, where, because of timing it's a June budget presentation and followed immediately by a vote, I want to give you all time to.

48

00:07:15.750 --> 00:07:22.560

Brendan O'Brien: Look at the presentation asked me questions, some of those questions I know Denise is not on the call today, but she will be in May.

49

00:07:22.830 --> 00:07:33.750

Brendan O'Brien: she'll be able to answer the more in depth university style questions but also there may be some times, where there might be a comment or think that we need to look at and that gives me another month before the meeting.

50

00:07:34.470 --> 00:07:46.080

Brendan O'Brien: In June to answer them for you and to get to a point that by that June meeting we're really just reviewing any questions or comments that were made previously, and then taking it to a vote and not having.

51

00:07:48.630 --> 00:07:56.790

Brendan O'Brien: A conversation that then has to have a vote followed right afterwards so that's we're looking at for May and.

52

00:07:58.290 --> 00:08:07.350

Brendan O'Brien: Any questions about that and I guess I don't want to take your time out and i'll wait until my time, but that's sort of teen off what i'll get into a little bit during my report so.

53

00:08:11.460 --> 00:08:19.680

Adam Gutierrez: So I think that that's going to cover for that's going to cover my report for the day and then we'll move.

54

00:08:20.730 --> 00:08:21.540

Adam Gutierrez: On to you Brendan.

55

00:08:22.560 --> 00:08:32.100

Brendan O'Brien: Okay, great um so i'll take it out of order, since we've already are talking about budget, you know, again, the main meeting is important so.

56

00:08:33.270 --> 00:08:37.350

Brendan O'Brien: we'll be going into the what I call the core aspects of the budget.

57

00:08:38.130 --> 00:08:54.030

Brendan O'Brien: That is the salaries benefits campus assessments, the debt service that we have those items that are standard for our budget on a year to year basis, and then the what we call within the.

58

00:08:54.960 --> 00:09:01.830

Brendan O'Brien: terminology of the campus budget, the non salary expenditures, those are things like capital improvement projects such as.

59

00:09:02.400 --> 00:09:19.500

Brendan O'Brien: Looking at this year furniture for the Grad lounge furniture for the first floor lobby and latitude that I shared with you last month and also some additional projects like new patio chairs out on the Plaza we are looking at automatic blind replacement throughout the building.

60

00:09:19.830 --> 00:09:22.500

Brendan O'Brien: we're looking at updates to our Internet.

61

00:09:22.590 --> 00:09:30.600

Brendan O'Brien: infrastructure throughout the process of looking at a return to site and do and having some really good conversations with it is.

62

00:09:30.870 --> 00:09:42.990

Brendan O'Brien: discovering that the hubs Internet, as some of you may be aware, it's not the best in terms of coverage we get because of the amount of people, we have in the building inundated and it stresses the system we have limited Plaza.

63

00:09:43.710 --> 00:09:51.270

Brendan O'Brien: coverage for wi fi so i've asked it is to propose what it would take to get us operational and those areas.

64

00:09:51.630 --> 00:10:01.680

Brendan O'Brien: And that is looking at a large investment upwards of 150 to \$200,000 if we were to do it in total, or we could break that apart again.

65

00:10:02.460 --> 00:10:09.360

Brendan O'Brien: not to get too in depth with the budget, but we have the funds, so we could target it in preparation for a return to say.

66

00:10:10.320 --> 00:10:20.070

Brendan O'Brien: So those are the type of projects that you'll have more in depth on, and I think I really appreciated the subcommittees comments about an Alex what you brought to the table as well with with some tracking.

67

00:10:20.730 --> 00:10:33.780

Brendan O'Brien: software and thinking about how we can better track that for students to see via our website also our budget numbers Denise is looking into some systems that are in use at other divisions in campus so that we can.

68

00:10:34.350 --> 00:10:44.370

Brendan O'Brien: Work on that throughout the summer and if there's expenses with that i'll plug that into our budget as well we're looking at transitioning to a cash operation so For those of you.

69

00:10:45.090 --> 00:10:52.050

Brendan O'Brien: Really briefly what that means is right now, if you have an event at the hub and there's any event fees, you have to work with the cashiers office.

70

00:10:52.590 --> 00:11:05.700

Brendan O'Brien: We send it to the cashiers office they manage it on our behalf, but it gets confusing for students, because and staff and faculty because they work with us for everything but actual payment where we need to invest in.

71

00:11:06.810 --> 00:11:13.170

Brendan O'Brien: The licensing invest in the training events in the financial controls, so that we can set up.

72



00:11:13.530 --> 00:11:21.150

Brendan O'Brien: The ability, where it is a one stop shop at the hub so you're paying for your event fees your credit card or online through a web portal.

73

00:11:21.480 --> 00:11:26.400

Brendan O'Brien: and making it more convenient, as opposed to what it is now, which is please give cashier's check.

74

00:11:26.970 --> 00:11:32.460

Brendan O'Brien: Which is very dated so we're looking at those type of upgrades and there's more that i'll go in depth.

75

00:11:32.970 --> 00:11:44.250

Brendan O'Brien: In May, and will also send out those capital projects in advance to this group so that again once we get to the meeting i'd like to have it, where you have some questions ready for me some comments you're prepared for how to.

76

00:11:45.000 --> 00:11:59.370

Brendan O'Brien: Look at the budget, but the subcommittee meetings again just to sell it one more time it's an opportunity to really go in depth outside of the confines of this meeting space, so that you're well prepared so any questions about budget preparations or.

77

00:12:00.390 --> 00:12:01.200

Brendan O'Brien: Any items like that.

78

00:12:06.060 --> 00:12:06.420

Brendan O'Brien: All right.

79

00:12:09.000 --> 00:12:09.660

Brendan O'Brien: yeah i've got.

80

00:12:10.320 --> 00:12:17.370

Adam Gutierrez: And, just to be clear, the capital projects that you mentioned are just capital projects that.

81

00:12:18.660 --> 00:12:19.830

Adam Gutierrez: That we have discussed.

82

00:12:20.850 --> 00:12:33.810

Adam Gutierrez: In the past, but if anybody else has any ideas of something that they would like to see done at the hub, please come to the next finance subcommittee meeting and propose it your idea to us and.

83

00:12:34.980 --> 00:12:37.650

Adam Gutierrez: Brendan will always see what you can do.

84

00:12:39.180 --> 00:12:47.700

Brendan O'Brien: And there's always you know i've had some discussions with board members about lockers in the future, talked about some you know how space.

85

00:12:48.360 --> 00:13:00.450

Brendan O'Brien: is designated within building and those discussions you know, sometimes projects that are proposed may not fit necessarily in the budget, or in the priorities for next year, based on pressing issues that we have.

86

00:13:01.320 --> 00:13:14.040

Brendan O'Brien: But it is always something that we can track, and we do have additional funding and our reserves that could always be utilized midway through the year and every year to tackle those projects if our initial budget.

87

00:13:15.030 --> 00:13:20.250

Brendan O'Brien: doesn't necessarily have that funding available or it more often than not it's not necessarily a funding issue.

88

00:13:20.550 --> 00:13:32.130

Brendan O'Brien: it's a more of a research issue, how do we do and make the best decision, the most financially sound decision and not Russia project so i'd rather wait a bit and bring it to the next year's board.

89

00:13:32.370 --> 00:13:33.480

Brendan O'Brien: To have a discussion.

90

00:13:33.720 --> 00:13:49.590

Brendan O'Brien: About items in case that comes out but but yeah sounds right, you know I think you know we and you know the team and I we try our best to give you all the data that we can and do research and give you options to think about and explain why maybe not now, then in the future.

91

00:13:54.990 --> 00:13:55.470

Brendan O'Brien: All right.

92

00:13:57.030 --> 00:13:57.780

Brendan O'Brien: let's see.

93

00:14:01.590 --> 00:14:09.270

Brendan O'Brien: So for spring 2021 operations, I just wanted to touch base with you all wrote very quickly about this, we are in the process of.

94

00:14:09.720 --> 00:14:21.120

Brendan O'Brien: And we have already done actually reset the hub Plaza lower and upper level with umbrellas added an additional chair to each tables and other are two chairs per table and.

95

00:14:21.570 --> 00:14:36.780

Brendan O'Brien: We are evaluating where the campus is with regard to the State tears so fortunately i'm on an operations work group Alex is on that as well, so we get some good conversations with folks who are the decision makers on this.

96

00:14:37.590 --> 00:14:56.250

Brendan O'Brien: The campus has not formally announced what the protocol or process or procedures would be for individual gatherings events, the type of things that typically happen at the hub, there has been communication as i'm sure you're all aware of regarding commencement, so we are looking at tentatively.

97

00:14:57.420 --> 00:14:58.860

Brendan O'Brien: In May.

98

00:14:59.910 --> 00:15:11.460

Brendan O'Brien: evaluating whether or not we can open up some space in the hub for study purposes, and it would be resolvable steady space and select locations at the hub would be primarily the be.

99

00:15:11.940 --> 00:15:19.140

Brendan O'Brien: A commuter lounge area and some of our open second floor rooms third floor being held off until further notice at this time, so.

100

00:15:19.710 --> 00:15:29.610

Brendan O'Brien: We are trying to match up to the best of our abilities with providing some additional opportunities for students on campus and encouraging folks to come back.

101

00:15:30.000 --> 00:15:41.280

Brendan O'Brien: To the outdoor spaces, as well as they'd like we are set for that, but until we know from the campus directly about what direction they want to go in with gatherings with events.

102

00:15:42.270 --> 00:15:49.170

Brendan O'Brien: What our souls would be allowed to do what departments would be allowed to do we're in a bit of a holding pattern so.

103

00:15:49.710 --> 00:16:04.140

Brendan O'Brien: we're not open still except for like I said the outdoor spaces, the our pantry is still active and our second for restaurants, are one of the only public restrooms available on campus if you were to come to visit so tomorrow, you had a question.

104

00:16:06.300 --> 00:16:19.140

Tommaso Menara: Yes, so um it only looks great that you know, hopefully everything opens up in fall and, hopefully, even the building opens and, but there is one instance that I keep on.

105

00:16:20.760 --> 00:16:24.510

Tommaso Menara: I cannot explain to myself how we put the manage which, which is.

106

00:16:25.890 --> 00:16:43.260

Tommaso Menara: Specifically, it came up in a classroom environment that I was envisioning bad, but but, honestly, it could be the same in the in the hub building and that's What if a person enters the building and they are visibly extremely sick.

107

00:16:44.790 --> 00:16:56.070

Tommaso Menara: Is there like what what is it what's going to happen it's not like you can ask for CDC vaccination cars at the enter at the entrance of the building, not even in the classrooms.

108

00:16:57.120 --> 00:17:01.620

Tommaso Menara: So have there been any thoughts about how to manage.

109

00:17:02.910 --> 00:17:03.420

Tommaso Menara: These.

110

00:17:04.470 --> 00:17:19.020

Tommaso Menara: possible situations because I mean, in the end, you know fluke and there's going to be another flu season and and and whatnot so these things, these these instances will happen and and i'm not sure who.

111

00:17:20.280 --> 00:17:23.730

Tommaso Menara: What what and if something has to be done.

112

00:17:24.780 --> 00:17:30.660

Tommaso Menara: In these sort of instances it's very dedicated and I don't know if that is yeah there's been any thought about this.

113

00:17:31.710 --> 00:17:34.230

Brendan O'Brien: There have been certainly conversations about.

114

00:17:34.290 --> 00:17:41.880

Brendan O'Brien: You know the logistics about bringing people back to say not just students but faculty and staff staff in particular.

115

00:17:42.300 --> 00:17:51.360

Brendan O'Brien: who have been so far advise that if they've been successfully working from home stay working from home at least through the fall as of right now anything could change by the time we get off this call.

116

00:17:51.540 --> 00:18:01.140

Brendan O'Brien: But the answer your question, you know it's a great one to my so I don't i'm not aware of any explicit direction about that type of situation, but what I would.

117

00:18:01.560 --> 00:18:07.410

Brendan O'Brien: What I would say is that, if even before pandemic times there's a couple of examples that.

118

00:18:08.310 --> 00:18:14.910

Brendan O'Brien: i've dealt with in the teams dealt with and in certain situations that I think still apply here, where you know the student seems in.

119

00:18:15.750 --> 00:18:26.430

Brendan O'Brien: distress to the point where they look visibly or violently ill, yet we have stepped in on occasion, just to check and say, are you Okay, do you need any services.

120

00:18:27.270 --> 00:18:31.920

Brendan O'Brien: Perhaps you know here, you know where the health Center is, if you need it, or are you able.

121

00:18:32.640 --> 00:18:40.350

Brendan O'Brien: To get home safely, or maybe you should think about getting home safely we do that with our own student employees i've had that conversation many times with them.

122

00:18:41.100 --> 00:18:45.780

Brendan O'Brien: at the front and the paint but, before the closure of students who have been visibly sick.

123

00:18:46.380 --> 00:18:52.560

Brendan O'Brien: Working our front desk working information desk and just letting them know that they don't have to power through it.

124

00:18:52.800 --> 00:19:04.410

Brendan O'Brien: i'll gladly give hours to students when they're feeling healthy, that means extra time in the office to make up for what they lost sure I have no problem doing that, so I think there are some holistic.

125

00:19:05.010 --> 00:19:14.430

Brendan O'Brien: ways to approach that and I think even coming back there's going to be I don't know if it's an expectation, but I think there's going to be.

126

00:19:15.600 --> 00:19:26.040

Brendan O'Brien: some semblance of a Community effort, where we can't be I can't be everywhere in the building checking to make sure if masks are still necessary, that people are.

127

00:19:26.280 --> 00:19:37.290

Brendan O'Brien: wearing their mask in the food court wearing their mask in a conference room it's it's very much going to end up like the smoking policy in some ways right where we're a smoke free campus.

128

00:19:37.800 --> 00:19:42.180

Brendan O'Brien: But if you see something say something style for even any type of.

129

00:19:43.050 --> 00:19:46.860

Brendan O'Brien: Issues safety issues that occur, smoking is one of those were in theory.

130

00:19:47.130 --> 00:19:55.890

Brendan O'Brien: You should be like hey you do, did you know that we're a smoke free campus I expect something similar where hey did you know that you know we're supposed to still be wearing a mask or you don't look.

131

00:19:56.370 --> 00:20:01.800

Brendan O'Brien: A reward are you Okay, and I think that's starting work with that question of are you okay just want to check seem.

132

00:20:02.520 --> 00:20:13.020

Brendan O'Brien: Just make sure, and I think that will probably be built in, and then I think for non compliance issues that give with students it most likely be a conduct concern.

133

00:20:13.890 --> 00:20:19.260

Brendan O'Brien: When we get back for faculty and staff and most likely be human resources involvement as well.

134

00:20:19.770 --> 00:20:27.000

Brendan O'Brien: But nothing has been said, yet there's no distinct policies, but I think holistically it's sort of checking in with each other.

135

00:20:27.270 --> 00:20:38.580

Brendan O'Brien: And being and taking care of each other to the best of our abilities and I think against some of the same practices that i've already employed in my team is already employed, we would use with our own staff and with folks in the building.

136

00:20:43.440 --> 00:20:55.920

Alex Ruiz: I appreciate the comment too much so, and I think brandon spot on with what i'm hearing as well, I did want to add just one quick note that it's my understanding that there's.

137

00:20:57.030 --> 00:21:01.650

Alex Ruiz: You know, further guidelines are going to be coming out campus wide that will provide us.

138

00:21:03.090 --> 00:21:05.130

Alex Ruiz: In student affairs, and you know.

139

00:21:06.450 --> 00:21:21.840

Alex Ruiz: enrollment services and all these different areas that will help us provide some guidance and I believe that there is the intent of having some focus groups being led by Vice Chancellor Hayes and Emily English all.

140

00:21:22.860 --> 00:21:31.440

Alex Ruiz: To have a better understanding of what has worked what could work, what are some of the challenges that we would need to.



141

00:21:32.190 --> 00:21:40.410

Alex Ruiz: You know, think about, because I think that that just like you mentioned there's you know the safety concern, but then also there's.

142

00:21:40.920 --> 00:21:46.260

Alex Ruiz: equity, you know how do we treat everyone equally when we when we do not, you know.

143

00:21:46.680 --> 00:21:53.220

Alex Ruiz: target certain populations that may be most vulnerable so that's what i've heard because i've asked the same question.

144

00:21:53.580 --> 00:22:01.740

Alex Ruiz: I know we're getting ready to begin bringing some of the functions of enrollment services like campus tours and other things back to campus.

145

00:22:02.070 --> 00:22:10.680

Alex Ruiz: But there's a lot of discussions as far as you know what what that means, and so a lot of unknowns just waiting for those guidelines, I think, is key.

146

00:22:13.470 --> 00:22:14.220

Tommaso Menara: Okay, thank you.

147

00:22:14.340 --> 00:22:21.390

Tommaso Menara: yeah, I just wanted to raise yeah it's not really I mean partially, these are concerned, but mostly yeah a comment on.

148

00:22:22.110 --> 00:22:30.600

Tommaso Menara: This delicate situation but it's good that you know it's being addressed and, hopefully, you know, hopefully it never comes to.

149

00:22:31.200 --> 00:22:43.080

Tommaso Menara: Enforcing anything and people are just smart you know, we are in college So hopefully that should be the prerequisite, being a little bit mature but we'll see how that goes.

150

00:22:44.250 --> 00:22:45.300

Brendan O'Brien: yeah and and.

151

00:22:46.560 --> 00:22:50.850

Brendan O'Brien: Another element is that I know uc San Diego I believe.

152

00:22:51.930 --> 00:22:57.750

Brendan O'Brien: UCLA uc Irvine to an extent have student health ambassadors that are trained.

153

00:22:58.140 --> 00:23:06.300

Brendan O'Brien: In the policies current tier status handout masks if somebody doesn't have one and they're literally they're kind of to do that, like.

154

00:23:06.630 --> 00:23:13.770

Brendan O'Brien: hey did you know that we still need masks when you enter a building and to help provide that additional support and being President events to kind of help.

155

00:23:14.610 --> 00:23:21.210

Brendan O'Brien: monitor that the existing protocols at that point in time, are being adhere to, so you know, I think.

156

00:23:21.840 --> 00:23:35.190

Brendan O'Brien: i've been an advocate of that there have been some very early discussions here at uc are about instituting that type of program, but that was very early on in the closure, when we were still no nothing happening on sites it wasn't worthwhile at that point.

157

00:23:36.270 --> 00:23:47.670

Brendan O'Brien: But thank you on yeah so the the wells actually working on that that now so that's good so you might be seeing some additional support system to being put in place for next quarter next wall.

158

00:23:50.250 --> 00:23:58.110

Brendan O'Brien: Any other questions about spring like I said Oh, this has pending approval so, and you know, the question I get asked to is what happens at the tier.

159

00:23:58.500 --> 00:24:11.850

Brendan O'Brien: gets worse, then we shut it down, and then we go back to foreclosure once again, so I think that's that's part of what will be incorporated into any guy reopening or return to site guidance.

160

00:24:12.240 --> 00:24:24.780

Brendan O'Brien: And that's just going to be part of our lives for until further notice where even in the fall if things get worse there's another surge that directly affects the inland empire or account of southern California.

161

00:24:25.350 --> 00:24:33.540

Brendan O'Brien: You know, we are prepared to revert back to a closed status and even events that are asking hey what is winter 2020 to look like.

162

00:24:34.110 --> 00:24:40.620

Brendan O'Brien: You know i'm happy to entertain those discussions but i'm also emphasizing, you should prioritize a virtual event.

163

00:24:41.310 --> 00:24:52.620

Brendan O'Brien: For yourself and reese have that in your back pocket so that you're not 100% all in on in person and then scrambling to figure out what to do if we had to close so there's a lot still that will be coming out and guidance forthcoming.

164

00:24:56.100 --> 00:24:56.790

Brendan O'Brien: that's all I had.

165

00:25:02.340 --> 00:25:07.320

Adam Gutierrez: Thank you brandon and now we'll move on to the food service report.

166

00:25:08.610 --> 00:25:09.510

Marcus Michael Van Vleet: hey good morning everyone.

167

00:25:10.230 --> 00:25:11.490

Marcus Michael Van Vleet: But similar.

168

00:25:11.580 --> 00:25:23.430

Marcus Michael Van Vleet: To what Brendan had briefly talked about we're eagerly anticipating more updates from campus in regards to the shift in terms and then obviously the governor announcing that by June 15.

169

00:25:24.270 --> 00:25:33.180

Marcus Michael Van Vleet: We should be out of the tier system so we're partnering with our real estate department to reach out to our third parties and kind of give them an update on where we're at.

170

00:25:34.290 --> 00:25:47.400

Marcus Michael Van Vleet: As it stands right now we anticipate them to be back on campus for fall, but again we'll we'll look at all avenues of what is campus location look like, is there a chance that it could be earlier.

171

00:25:48.660 --> 00:25:55.350

Marcus Michael Van Vleet: Just so you guys are aware, when the pandemic first started and I may have said this before, so I apologize from repeating myself.

172

00:25:55.890 --> 00:26:09.540

Marcus Michael Van Vleet: We amended their contracts to pretty much say hey you don't pay base rent during the pandemic and if we open or if you open, it would be a percent of your sales, they all liked it obviously when the campus went dark to be closed.

173

00:26:10.800 --> 00:26:20.340

Marcus Michael Van Vleet: And then, as we kind of went through and said we don't want to open up retail locations they've stayed closed, so the the premise of this meeting with them is to kind of update it.

174

00:26:21.060 --> 00:26:25.980

Marcus Michael Van Vleet: All of our third party brand partners on where we're at what communication has been sent out.

175

00:26:26.400 --> 00:26:33.000

Marcus Michael Van Vleet: And where we plan on going from here, knowing that we don't have the full scope yet there's a lot more information to be had.

176

00:26:33.660 --> 00:26:49.860

Marcus Michael Van Vleet: So our direction to them right now tentatively is plan on regular operations for for the fall and when we say regular operations, we know that we're looking for 80% CAP campus density we're still waiting on what the.

177

00:26:50.940 --> 00:26:58.260

Marcus Michael Van Vleet: What the guidelines would be in regards to social distancing where we're making the educated assumption that mask will still be a thing for another year or two.

178

00:26:58.950 --> 00:27:07.980

Marcus Michael Van Vleet: Social distancing hand sanitizers working with brendan's team to look at the layout of the indoor dining room and making sure it's spaced correctly things like that.

179

00:27:09.030 --> 00:27:19.410

Marcus Michael Van Vleet: And then, at the same time kind of working through our plans for the rest of the campus in what our dining plan looks like going from here so having said that, are there any questions on the dining update.

180

00:27:25.620 --> 00:27:26.460

Marcus Michael Van Vleet: Well, thank you for your time.

181

00:27:30.570 --> 00:27:37.410

Adam Gutierrez: Thank you Marcus now we'll go on to public forum is there anybody from the public today.

182

00:27:41.370 --> 00:27:46.650

Adam Gutierrez: Okay, nobody from public so then we'll go on to the subcommittee reports.

183

00:27:47.970 --> 00:27:55.980

Adam Gutierrez: So we did not have a bylaw Subcommittee, as I mentioned, I will be sending out the date for our next meeting.

184

00:27:57.030 --> 00:28:01.260

Adam Gutierrez: Probably pretty soon here definitely by the end of the week.

185

00:28:03.630 --> 00:28:06.960

Adam Gutierrez: And in that committee, as I mentioned before we'll look at the.

186

00:28:10.590 --> 00:28:13.740

Adam Gutierrez: will look at the was a memorandum.

187

00:28:15.960 --> 00:28:19.590

Adam Gutierrez: Of the honorarium, so I will be looking at the honorarium for.

188

00:28:21.150 --> 00:28:34.020

Adam Gutierrez: Meeting participation and wills we're going to evaluate what we can do as a board to encourage or incentivize participation during.

189

00:28:34.590 --> 00:28:51.060

Adam Gutierrez: These meetings, the Finance Committee is a very crucial part of what we do here at the hub, and it affects not only us but it affects the future generations of the board, so the more involvement that we have in the more input that we have.

190

00:28:52.110 --> 00:29:03.360

Adam Gutierrez: The more we as a board can begin to understand what our goal is here, and where are we heading in the future, and if there.

191

00:29:04.230 --> 00:29:12.570

Adam Gutierrez: Are opinions that we're not considering, then we would like those brought forward to us, I know that we have a lot of.

192

00:29:13.290 --> 00:29:22.110

Adam Gutierrez: Students on the board, who are in a SEC are and GSA you know talk to your constituents, what would what would they like to see it.

193

00:29:22.890 --> 00:29:34.140

Adam Gutierrez: At the hub, and then, if you can't make it to one of the meetings you can always feel free to send an email to me or Brendan and we'll do our best to get back to you I usually try.

194

00:29:34.860 --> 00:29:42.510

Adam Gutierrez: To get back to emails within a business day if I see it right away and i'm on my computer i'll definitely reply right away.

195

00:29:44.400 --> 00:29:51.660

Adam Gutierrez: But yeah so that's what we'll be looking at for April and then we'll have more to report by May and then.

196

00:29:53.370 --> 00:30:03.960

Adam Gutierrez: So for the finance subcommittee I know Brendan went over a little bit more in depth, I can tell you from my experience what I had mentioned.

197

00:30:05.010 --> 00:30:07.200

Adam Gutierrez: To Brendan was about.

198

00:30:08.370 --> 00:30:22.350

Adam Gutierrez: Digital signage so that was something that I was interested in seeing it the hub and it's been something that I have brought forward before, but you know when you're walking around the hub there's those.

199

00:30:25.530 --> 00:30:26.370

Adam Gutierrez: there's like those.

200

00:30:27.510 --> 00:30:43.170

Adam Gutierrez: Not podiums are like kind of like a directory where there's usually student organization posters inside of that, instead of just having like one poster in there, at a time if we could find a way to digitize those then.

201

00:30:44.010 --> 00:30:56.130

Adam Gutierrez: We could have more student organizations getting exposure and more students just you know, knowing what's going on on campus and finding different ways to get involved so.

202

00:30:57.630 --> 00:31:09.660

Adam Gutierrez: I don't know if that's going to happen, but it's something that we're currently looking into and it's just an example of a small idea that can just help to enhance your experience on campus.

203

00:31:12.120 --> 00:31:25.800

Adam Gutierrez: And yeah so just to reiterate our next Finance Committee meeting will be Friday April April 23 at noon i'll be sending out the invites for that that week.

204

00:31:28.080 --> 00:31:29.040

Adam Gutierrez: and

205

00:31:32.790 --> 00:31:38.550

Adam Gutierrez: that's going to cover the subcommittee reports do we do we have any questions.

206

00:31:46.560 --> 00:31:47.940

Adam Gutierrez: And thank you brandon for the update.

207

00:31:53.070 --> 00:31:57.840

Adam Gutierrez: Okay, and if there are no other questions we're going to go.

208

00:32:01.260 --> 00:32:05.700

Adam Gutierrez: So there's no all business, we have no new business to discuss.

209

00:32:06.990 --> 00:32:12.510

Adam Gutierrez: What anybody on the board like to give any announcements anything going on.

210

00:32:13.920 --> 00:32:16.560

Adam Gutierrez: Today, or within the next month that they'd like to share.

211

00:32:21.330 --> 00:32:22.260



Alex Ruiz: more of a question.

212

00:32:23.490 --> 00:32:27.210

Alex Ruiz: Sorry Brendan if I missed it, I was wondering if there's.

213

00:32:28.500 --> 00:32:39.210

Alex Ruiz: You know, with with the plan to return to campus I was wondering if there's any plans for the student success building to be available.

214

00:32:40.860 --> 00:32:42.240

Alex Ruiz: For an update.

215

00:32:43.980 --> 00:32:54.270

Alex Ruiz: Maybe just even when we returned a campus or maybe before we returned to campus it would be great to see what will be you know of the building.

216

00:32:56.250 --> 00:33:03.480

Alex Ruiz: And stuff like that, because I think that that'll be one you know with the construction in the middle of campus and in the hub being there.

217

00:33:04.710 --> 00:33:07.170

Alex Ruiz: I think that that might be something will we're not used to.

218

00:33:08.940 --> 00:33:12.750

Brendan O'Brien: yeah so the success Center I took a tour.

219

00:33:13.860 --> 00:33:17.430

Brendan O'Brien: Two weeks ago, because is that a point where they're actually starting to put in the walls.

220

00:33:17.430 --> 00:33:17.730

and

221

00:33:18.960 --> 00:33:24.030

Brendan O'Brien: framing it out, it looks awesome and there will be an opportunity i'm hoping.

222

00:33:25.110 --> 00:33:33.810

Brendan O'Brien: For the Board and the next month, not everybody we're still not there yet, but I will send out an email first come, first served.

223

00:33:34.650 --> 00:33:40.080

Brendan O'Brien: To try to get at least three or four of you on a tour of that space, if you are interested.

224

00:33:40.410 --> 00:33:48.420

Brendan O'Brien: If you are comfortable coming to campus and do your daily wellness check and all the other fun things that i'll go through with you in order to be on campus.

225

00:33:49.200 --> 00:34:01.230

Brendan O'Brien: For those of you who aren't able to make it i'll make sure to take pictures and some video to share as well, so that you can see it, and in terms of where the schedule is.

226

00:34:01.980 --> 00:34:14.190

Brendan O'Brien: It still on track to be open for fall in May, maybe do not hold it to me, but maybe open earlier than that, pending, you know if things are stay on track.

227

00:34:14.610 --> 00:34:17.940

Brendan O'Brien: And there would be some time for next year's board.

228

00:34:18.240 --> 00:34:26.520

Brendan O'Brien: Hopefully, by that point if things continue to progress positively, then I can bring more view into the site and before it opens.

229

00:34:26.730 --> 00:34:32.820

Brendan O'Brien: and see the furniture that it's furniture is not in yet it's still being like I said it's a construction site it's an active construction site.

230

00:34:33.570 --> 00:34:49.290

Brendan O'Brien: So it's not pretty but it looks really impressive so when it gets to that more completed phase, then we should be in a better position to bring more folks in, and we are already on track to have classes in those multipurpose rooms, as we discussed.

231

00:34:50.430 --> 00:35:02.580

Brendan O'Brien: Over the summer and in the fall working that out with the provost office we are applying the same scheduling and event and gathering guidance to the success Center so there will be separate.

232

00:35:04.020 --> 00:35:13.770

Brendan O'Brien: processes in terms of that building, but they will fall with the hub, is doing to make it as consistent as possible, and we are finalizing.

233

00:35:14.490 --> 00:35:21.840

Brendan O'Brien: The operating hours for fall, just to be again match it up with whatever the campus expectations are for when we come back so.

234

00:35:22.320 --> 00:35:28.200

Brendan O'Brien: Yes, I would love to bring more of you in, so I think if we can keep that in mind for next month.

235

00:35:29.070 --> 00:35:35.790

Brendan O'Brien: I know, Adam hasn't been able to make it to the last few so but i've got a schedule, so it looks like we would do it on a Friday morning.

236

00:35:36.120 --> 00:35:42.870

Brendan O'Brien: So keep that in mind if that works for folks if it doesn't you know I can you know, certainly do more tours camp will be on campus more often.

237

00:35:43.740 --> 00:35:53.550

Brendan O'Brien: This quarter and heading into summer so i'm we're around to kind of do that part of the tour with our project manager as well, so more to come, but yes, it is, it is moving along and maybe open before the ball.

238

00:36:01.500 --> 00:36:08.010

Adam Gutierrez: Thank you for that update on the student success Center were there any other announcements from any other Members.

239

00:36:15.570 --> 00:36:18.690

Adam Gutierrez: Okay, and with that i'd like to call.

240

00:36:19.980 --> 00:36:23.340

Adam Gutierrez: The highlander Union governing board meeting to.

241

00:36:24.420 --> 00:36:28.890

Adam Gutierrez: A close at 11:37am.

242

00:36:30.540 --> 00:36:31.380

Adam Gutierrez: Any opposed.

243

00:36:35.190 --> 00:36:36.240

Adam Gutierrez: Okay, see you awesome.

244

00:36:37.980 --> 00:36:38.040

Brendan O'Brien: All.

End at 11:37 AM on April 13th, 2021.